WHO regrets US decision to stop funding
The head of the World Health Organization said Wednesday that it “is getting on with the job” in responding to the coronavirus pandemic, despite President Donald Trump’s announcement a day earlier that the US would withhold funding to the international organization.
“We regret the decision of the President of the United States to order a halt in funding to the World Health Organization,” Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said during a news conference Wednesday in Geneva.
Trump announced on Tuesday that he is halting funding to the WHO while a review is conducted. As per sources, the administration is looking for new ways to allocate that money, which would leave the WHO without tens of millions of dollars from its largest donor. Trump’s decision comes amid the worst global pandemic in decades.