Fresh Herbs always bring a refreshing aroma and an added flavour to your dish. By adding herbs and spices, you can supercharge your food without adding a single calorie. Thyme is one such herb, with its distinctive taste it enhances the flavour of the dish and activates your taste buds. Apart from giving a wonderful taste to your food, it protects your body with its amazing health benefits.
Herb Thyme belongs to mint family. Amongst several popular thyme varieties, lemony variety has a strong flavour. Even the dried form of the herb retains its flavour better than many other herbs. Thyme contains an important compound called thymol. Thymol is known to have strong anti-septic and anti-fungal properties. This compound is a major active ingredient in toothpaste, mouth wash, general disinfectants, hand-sanitizing solutions etc. There are some popular products containing thymol extract from thyme such as Vicks vapour rub and mouthwash Listerine.
- Thyme is full of natural flavour giving compounds of great medicinal value. It has wide range of medicinal benefits as compared to any other herb.
- Thyme contains vitamin C, Vitamin A, fibre, riboflavin, iron, copper, manganese, calcium, B6, folate, phosphorus, potassium and zinc.
- Vitamin A is a fat soluble vitamin and anti-oxidant that is required to maintain healthy mucus membrane, skin and is also essential for vision. Thyme is steeped in alcohol for few weeks and a solution is obtained known as tincture. Thyme tincture has some encouraging results on pimples and acne treatment.
- Thyme contains vitamin C that protects against free radical damage to cells. It also helps in reduction of inflammation levels and in prevention of chronic diseases like cancer, cardio vascular disease and diabetes. Vitamin C in thyme also helps develop resistance against infections and prevent wrinkles.
- It is noticed that thyme has the ability to prevent food contamination and also to de-contaminate previously contaminated food as well. Just add thyme to your food and decrease your likelihood of food-borne illness.
- If you are suffering from high blood pressure, add thyme to your food which has anti-hypertensive property.
- The volatile oils in thyme increase the levels of omega 3 in the brain. Thyme is a natural mood enhancer.
- Thyme oil is one of the strongest natural antimicrobials making it a serious weapon against sore throats. Carvicrol content in thyme is a major reason why it is one of the top essential oils for sore throat. Expectorant containing thyme is specially beneficial for respiratory tract problems like bronchitis.
- Thyme extract can repel mosquitoes. In order to get best pest fighting results rub the leaves between your hands to release the essential oils. You can get rid of bacteria, virus, rats, mice and other animal pests. You can get over the counter sachets that repel moths.
- Ointments containing thyme oil helps in fighting infections, cuts, scrapes and bruises.
- Thyme is a natural disinfectant due to its main component thymol. It is obviously the reason why it is used to clean patient’s rooms.
- Thyme is also effective as a soothing stomach aid to relieve gastritis, indigestion and colic.
- Apart from above health benefits, thyme works as detoxifying agent, works for nail fungus, muscle pain, anxiety, stress, insomnia, headache are to name a few.
by Nibhanapudi Suguna