The Jackfruit Seeds
The ripened yellow colour flesh of jackfruit is sweet, crunchy and delicious to eat. The edible seeds inside the fruit are equally tasty and healthy. I remember in my childhood on my visits to grandma in our village, after the cooking is done, the seeds of the jackfruit were thrown in the coal. They were collected after diminishing the heat in the evening and eaten by removing the skin.These roasted seeds tasted yummy. Sometimes they are boiled and added to vegetables. They can also be turned into flour to be used in culinary.
Jackfruit is the largest fruit in the world and can grow bigger and heavier. One can see hundreds of huge fruits hanging from the tree, making it the biggest tree-born fruits in the world.
- It is a rich source of vitamins and minerals. One can relish the fruit free from saturated fats or cholesterol and can gain energy and dietary fibre.
- Since jackfruit seeds are rich in proteins and other micronutrients, they help in managing mental stress levels and various other diseases.
- The high quality proteins in the seeds aids in building muscles and are free from cholesterol.
- Jack fruit seeds promote healthy blood circulation, which in turn helps healthy hair growth. Vitamin A in jackfruit seeds prevents brittle and dryness in hair.
- The seeds also contain minerals like zinc, calcium, copper, potassium and magnesium. These minerals contain certain compounds, which have anti-microbial effect and which could help prevent contamination with bacteria that causes food-borne illnesses.
- These seeds have been used in traditional medicines to help with digestive tract problems although research is being done to verify these potential benefits.
- Fresh jackfruit seeds are a good source of vitamins B1 and B12, high in starch.
- Phytonutrients in jackfruit have wide ranging health benefits like anti-cancer, anti-hypertensive anti-aging, anti-biotic, anti-oxidant and anti- ulcer.
- The anti-viral and anti- bacterial properties minimises the risk of bacterial and viral infections.
- There is an insoluble fibre in the seed, which helps prevent constipation. It detoxifies the colon and maintains healthy digestion. and fat absorption capacities and helps prevent obesity.
- Jackfruit seeds are a great source of iron. Iron is a component of haemoglobin. It supports the oxygenation of the body by aiding in the regeneration of red blood cells. A diet rich in iron cuts the risk of anaemia and other blood disorders. Iron also promotes circulation while keeping the brain and heart healthy and strong.
- The protein and host of other micro- nutrients packed in jackfruit seeds help alleviate stress.
- You can get flawless skin with the seeds. Soak the seeds in honey and milk and make fine paste. Apply this paste on face, let it dry and wash off. This will make your skin shine instantly. The seeds can hydrate the skin and prevent skin breakouts.
This fruit also contains calorie but no cholesterol or saturated fats. Consume jackfruit seeds for the best taste, nutrition and its many health benefits.
By Nibhanapudi Suguna