These days we see fruit and vegetable markets full of bright orange coloured tangerines. One cannot resist the urge to buy these wonderful fruits. Moreover they are quite pocket friendly. These fruits are just like oranges, very juicy and sweet with a soft skin that is easy to peel. It is scientifically proved that citrus fruits, by virtue of their richness in vitamins and minerals have many proven health benefits. They play an important role in preventing and reducing many alarming and chronic diseases.
Tangerine has been used in medical treatments very frequently as they fight against skin diseases and arthritis.
- A particular flavonoid called nobiletin is known to inhibit the growth of tumours and is helpful in prevention of certain cancers. The research is still going on to find if it can completely cure ovarian cancer as it could restrict and decrease the viability of ovarian cancer cells in vitro (study of micro organisms).
- When it comes to protect the heart, this flavonoid in tangerines is believed to clear the build up of plaque in the arteries, which can lead to heart attack or stroke.
- The Nobiletin in tangerines is anti-inflammatory and anti-tumour invasion.
- They contain pectin which prevents cholesterol absorption in the gut.
- There are certain flavonoids in tangerine that fight against obesity. Obesity can lead to serious ailments like heart diseases, diabetes and hypertension.
- Tangerines are a good source of vitamin C which is crucial to the synthesis of collagen in the body that helps heal wounds and hold together tendons, ligaments bones and blood vessels.
- Vitamin C aids in absorption of iron from the food helping the body retain more of this essential mineral. Vitamin C in this citrus fruit is a water soluble vitamin. It is one of the powerful natural anti-oxidant that is anti- viral and helps prevent from neuro-degenerative diseases, arthritis, cold etc. by removing oxidant-free radicals from the body.
- Tangerines are full of fibre which promotes regularity and optimal bowel health. Adequate dietary fibre in tangerines improves digestion and aids in smooth bowel movements by acting as a laxative.
- The anti-oxidant nutrient in Vitamin C in tangerine helps to lower the aging pr It protects the skin from free radicals. So to maintain smooth and youthful skin, to stimulate the production of collagen in your skin include tangerines in your diet.
- Vitamin B12 in tangerine reduces hair loss and promotes hair growth. Tangerine juice can be applied to hair with hair oil to get a healthy and shiny hair.
- Potassium in this fruit impacts all organs, cells and tissues of the body. This mineral is necessary for proper functioning of the kidneys, muscles, nerves, heart and digestive It is also essential for bone health.
Tangerine juice is a healthy refreshing drink which is also used in many syrups and sauces etc.
Tangerine zest imparts special orange flavour to confectionary items such as biscuits, cakes, ice creams and pastries.
By Nibhanapudi Suguna