On your visit to the vegetable market, your eye will definitely behold the sight of white bulbs with small roots and green shoots. Needless to say that is spring onion, a very nutritious plant. It is a rich source of vitamins and minerals. These nutrients help in reducing the harmful impacts of various diseases. They contain certain acids, vitamins and carbohydrates. These nutrients protect us from cough, cold to cancer like diseases, owing to their disease controlling properties.
They are beneficial for those who sit in front of computers for long hours, those who put on weight, vision problems, high cholesterol, heart problems and for scores of other ailments, spring onion is the answer says Ayurveda.
- Spring onions are good for heart and blood vessels. Due to its anti-oxidant properties, they keep the heart healthy and disease free.
- g Vitamin C in spring onion improves immunity. It helps in lowering high cholesterol and blood pressure levels in the body and helps in synthesis of collagen that makes your bones strong. Vitamin C being a powerful anti-oxidant protects the body tissues from damage and inflammation. Vitamin K plays the vital role of maintaining the bone density.
- g Spring onions contain colloidal carbohydrates which dissolve in water. Those who suffer from indigestion can take half cup of spring onions regularly. They can be cooked with other vegetables, lentils or make salad.
- g Green onions are rich in powerful sulphur containing compound called allyl -sulphide that helps in reducing the risk of developing colon cancer. The other sulphur compounds present in green onions help in lowering the blood sugar levels. This is achieved by increasing the levels of insulin, a hormone, which is essential for transportation of sugar in the blood to the body cells. They are also found to enhance the blood circulation and absorption vitamin B1 by the body thereby reducing stress and tiredness. These sulphur compounds present in spring onions also help in reducing the risk of coronary heart diseases. Chromium in spring onions also controls diabetes by regulating sugar levels. It cures fungal infection and very beneficial for the skin. Low calories in this vegetable help reduce weight.
- Quercetin in spring onions provides anti-inflammatory benefits. It is a good vegetable for treating arthritis and asthma.
- Anti-bacterial and anti-viral properties, spring onions are one of the most commonly used natural remedies to treat viral infections, flu, common cold, etc. They are also found to stimulate the activity of respiratory system and aid in expelling sputum.
- Pectin a water soluble colloidal carbohydrate in spring onions reduces the chances of developing cancer especially the colon cancer.
- This vegetable contains vitamin A that plays an important role in maintaining normal vision and keeps our eyes healthy. They are also found to protect the eyes from inflammation and fight against macular degeneration, a clinical condition that results in loss of vision. Vitamin B2, Thiamine in spring onions is especially beneficial for the eyes.
- Allicin in this vegetable is good for skin as it protects from skin wrinkling.
By Nibhanapudi Suguna
Comments are closed here.