Oregano is one of the spices that we use in kitchen for seasoning food, has great medicinal value. Most of these spices are actually herbs with potency to cure and heal several ailments. Oregano leaves have pleasant aroma due to the presence of chemical constituents such as thymol, limonene,
pinene etc. Oregano leaves are a good source of iron, manganese, vitamin A and omega-3 fatty acids. Therefore it is a general immune booster.
Oregano tea instantly cures indigestion, flatulence and bloating.
Due to the presence of phenolic acids and flavonoids, oregano is high in antioxidant properties. Therefore, it prevents formation of free radicals in the body, which could otherwise lead to ageing of body cells.
Having anti-cancerous properties in abundance, it can be used to have a good control over all kinds of cancers. This benefit of oregano can prevent you from extra or unusual growth of cells in body and even can stop further aggravation. Breast cancer, a very common type of cancer among females can be prevented up to a great extent by making use of this amazing herb.
- It also contains omega-3 fatty acids that could be of great help in cardiovascular problems. Seasoning food with oregano or sprinkling it over your salad or toaster and help you to have a healthy and controlled blood pressure with cholesterol level. It has been proved beneficial in diseases like arthrosclerosis, angina pectoris, coronary artery diseases and strokes etc.
- A cup of oregano tea is an excellent anti-bacterial dose for the entire day. This particular herb consists of oils known as thymol and carvacrol that are recognised to combat bacteria. Within the most recent study, it has been found out that the herb can easily battle bacterial infections brought on because of amoeba Giardia lamblia much better than tinidazole, a generally recommended drug.
- Regular consumption of oregano tea also helps in avoiding any type of microbe infections by suppressing their development. Oregano tea is a natural method of obtaining omega-3 fatty acids. They are regarded as essential fatty acids as they have a number of health benefits.
- Omega-3 works well for decreasing inflammation all around the body. This particular essential acid is known to reduce the chance of heart illnesses, arthritis, enhance cognitive as well as behavioural function.
- Oil of oregano is an effective pain killer too. According a study oregano oil surpassed anti-inflammatory drugs in reversing inflammation and pain. To get instant relief from stomach upset, add two drops of oregano oil to a glass of water and drink. For abdominal pain, a good massage with oregano oil may help.
- Two drops of oregano oil in nose, helps to clear sinus and other infections. Oregano oil and leaves are strong antibacterial agents owing to its high thymol content.
- The dry leaves are used in hot fomentation to painful swellings and rheumatism. Being rich with antioxidant compounds containing rosmarinic acid and thymol oregano enhances immune system.
- Having bath using its leaves with warm water can help you relax.
By Niibhanapudi Suguna