Kokum fruit is a small fruit grown in Southern parts of India. It has sour and pungent taste. It is an edible fruit and is used in different culinary items. It is also used in dried form to bring sourness to the dish.
Kokum fruit is used to treat a number of ailments in Ayurveda. This fruit is a source of garcinol a substance that had been recognised as having significant benefits for a number of illnesses.
- According to a study a substance called Garcinol is found in this fruit and is shown to provide anti- oxidant effects in the body. Garcinol is also known as garcinol Indiana taking the name of the University where it is found. It protects the body against the tissue damage caused by environmental hazards such as smoke and pollution. Garcinol protects the tissue surrounding brain as it has neuro-protective properties.
- These fruits keep the body cool. Kokum juice is prepared from the pulp of this fruit that is rich in antioxidants and quenches thirst. It protects Canadian pharmacy Cialis the body from sun stroke and dehydration.
- Kokum is known to help in digestion if taken in the form of Kokum juice. It acts as refreshingly cool tonic. This tonic is beneficial for liver and heart.
- Kokum butter is derived from this fruit. It is applied topically on skin ailments, ulcers, cracked lips and dryness.
- Kokum works well for allergy. Cold blend of kokum is used as local application in allergic rashes on the skin. The infusion is highly effective and suggested for these purposes.
- Kokum is a good remedy for hyper acidity. If you are suffering from acidity or hyper acidity you can be relieved by taking the cold mix of kokum, sugar and little salt. This solution gives immense relief from acidity.
- This fruit is said to be ideal ingredient to fight against various cancer dis orders such as breast cancer, leukaemia and liver cancer owing to its anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties. Garcinol in kokum fruit with its anti-carcinogenic properties works against the production of cancerous cells.
- Heart diseases like atherosclerosis and heart attack are mainly caused due to the ill effects of high cholesterol, high blood pressure and high blood sugar levels. Whereas kokum has no fat or cholesterol. So this fruit is very effective in controlling, preventing heart disease.
- Kokum contains a high amount of vitamin C. This acts as an antioxidant. Antioxidants play a vital role in preventing various diseases and also protect our skin from aging.
- The powder made out of kokum fruit helps prevent dehydration as well as loss of various important nutrients. It delays aging and makes us look younger.
- Kokum fruit has the ability to bring down the overall weight of a person. This is possible because of the hydro-citric acid present in this fruit. It is an important anti-obesity factor which lowers the cholesterol levels as well as suppresses the growth of fatty acids.
Kokum fruit is used in culinary purpose to add its tangy flavour. It has an ability to impart a nice red colour to the dish. So if you come across this fruit, try to include it in your diet and avail its health benefits.
By Nibhanapudi Suguna
Comments are closed here.