Jujubes are nutritious fruits that are eaten fresh or dried. These fruits are known as ber in Hindi. These are red in colour to look from outside with a seed inside. Upon drying they attain a chewy and date like consistency. These dried jujubes are called red dates, Chinese dates or Indian dates.
In India jujubes are offered to Lord Shiva on Maha Shivratri. In South India there is a custom of bathing infants and small children with these fruits mixed with marigold flower petals on Pongal (the first day of Sankranti) day. There is a belief that it keeps the children healthy and protect from all the evils.
These fruits are power packed with nutrients, minerals and vitamins and are very low in calories. They contain more Vitamin C than any other fruit. Jujubes protect liver as they contain triterpenoid ingredients which actually inhibit the activity of hepatitis virus and detoxify the body. The anti-oxidants help prevent a number of diseases, improve immunity. Alkaloids in jujube help in purifying blood by eliminating harmful toxins from the body. In addition, it can improve the system and protect the liver. Jujube offers protection against liver injury with the help of anti-oxidants.
Anti-oxidants help defend the body from damaging free radicals. These free radicals interact with the cells, damage vital components and trigger disease and aging. As jujubes contain large number of anti-oxidants they help improve the immune system and overall health.
- Jujubes have immune stimulant properties. If you have weak immunity then eating this fruit strengthens the immune system.
- Jujube can be used in treating kidney disease because of its magical effect in supplying iron and fighting against allergy.
- Jujube contains amino acids that have wound healing properties. Research identifies nine types of flavonoids in these fruits. Therefore they have the ability to treat cancer.
- They help in increasing the bone density and strengthen the bones with the help of iron, phosphorus and calcium present in jujubes. The elderly often suffer from osteoporosis and other bone degradation problems. Regular intake of jujubes can give them some relief by slowing down the process.
- Iron and phosphorus in jujubes help improve blood circulation. Eating jujubes prevent you from being affected by fatigue, light-headedness, muscle weakness etc. due to anaemia.
- Jujube contains compounds that have sedative affect which can help to relax. They can be used to treat both insomnia and anxiety. Its extract proves to be a natural alternative to prescription of sedatives.
- The high content of Vitamin C, minerals and fibre in jujubes are found to help reduce cholesterol, improve immunity and keep blood vessels flexible.
- Recent research indicates that, this fruit can fight Alzheimers by helping fight cell degeneration and aiding cognitive functioning of the brain.
- Excess bleeding during menstruation can be controlled by taking one spoonful of dried jujube fruit powder mixed in a cup of water.
- Boil a few jujubes in a cup of water filter it and give it to the child who gets irritated and cranky. It works wonders on their nervous system and calms them.
- Extract one spoonful of juice from jujubes sprinkle black pepper powder on them and consume to get relief from cough and common cold.
- Other than the above they keep Blood pressure under control and fights infections. So Keep eating jujube and be Healthy.
by Nibhanapudi Suguna
Comments are closed here.