How To Get Relief From Back Pain?
Back pain is one of the most common complaints we hear from every second person we meet and one of the most common and neglected pain. It usually disappears after some rest and we totally forget about it until it becomes a nagging pain. It is the fifth most common reason for a visit to the physician worldwide. Back pain does not usually require immediate medical intervention. The vast majority of episodes of back pain are self-limiting and non-progressive.
Most of the time back pain occurs due to sitting at one place for long time. Because of bad posture and engaging in some kind of weight lifting or some strenuous activity, sudden pain is felt in the upper or lower back. Here are some natural remedies for getting relief from the backache and can even get rid of it completely.
- Eating 2/3 garlic cloves early morning everyday is an effective remedy for backache.
- Add common salt to freshly prepared lemon juice and drink. This lemon juice has magical effect on backache.
- A quick and temporary pain relief is to apply a gram of asafetida and egg yolk mixed together to the effected parts.
- Add three cardamoms and a pinch of turmeric to a cup of milk and bring the milk to boil. Drink this milk before going to bed every night to get relief from back pain.
- Soak ¼ kg badam (Almonds) in water overnight, peel off the skin and grind them to powder after drying, add ¼ kg roasted and ground khaskhas and ¼ kg mishri (sugar candy) powder. Mix all these powders and store in a bottle. Daily add two spoons of this powder to half glass of water and drink. This gives relief from backache.
- Heat some mustard oil and add little camphor and apply on the effected area.
- Heat some coconut oil, add some crushed sonth (dry ginger) and garlic to it. Apply this oil to the effected area and give hot water fomentation with hot bag.
- Eucalyptus oil is helpful in easing the back pain. You can massage with the eucalyptus oil to give relief from pain.
- Add few garlic cloves to mustard oil or coconut oil and heat the oil at low flame till the garlic become black. Let it cool and apply it over the effected area and after an hour take warm water bath for relief from pain.
- Add two tablespoons of cumin seed powder to one liter water and heat it. When it is little warm soak a towel in this solution and foment the effected area to get immediate relief.
- Take limestone and honey in equal proportions mix well and apply this to effected part to give relief from pain.
- Take 250 gm of azwain, roast and make fine powder add 250 gm of mishri powder and 250 gm of cow ghee to make a fine leham (paste) and store in a bottle. Take one spoon after meals daily to get rid off your nagging backache.
- Take about 100 gm of azwain in a cloth and make it warm on a pan or container and give fomentation to give immediate relief from pain.
- Ginger and honey contain anti-inflammatory compounds and has mild aspirin like effects. Take two inch long ginger root crush it and add to one cup of water and let the water boil on low heat. Cover it and after cooling, strain and drink the solution by adding little sugar candy or honey.
- Boil 10 basil leaves (tulsi) in one cup of water until the water is reduced to half cup. Let it cool and add little common salt and drink this mixture daily to reduce backache.
Here are some tips to prevent backache. After all prevention is better than cure!
- Avoid lifting weights and over exertion.
- Avoid fatty, spicy and fried foods.
- Change sitting position frequently.
- Sleep on hard bed.
- Eat food which is rich in vitamin C. Include citrus fruits like orange in your diet.
- Bend knees whenever you wish to pick up something heavy and keep the back straight.
- Avoid smoking, drinking, chewing tobacco etc.
Exercise regularly with less than half an hour: controlled, slow, and gentle exercise. You will get definite relief.
By N Suguna