Gular: The Indian Fig Tree
The Indian fig tree or Gular is one of the sacred trees. Gular tree is known as udumbara in Sanskrit. This tree has been immensely helping mankind in curing a number of ailments. Its scientific name is Ficus racemosa. The Indian variety of fig comes in clusters very close to the trunk.Apart from its medicinal benefits, it has mythological importance in India for Hindus as well as Buddhists.
This fruit contains B2, iron, potassium and manganese. All the parts of the tree has wound healing properties. The latex extract of the tree help heal the wounds, mums, and inflammation. Just apply the extract and put cotton over it. If you repeat it 2,3, times the wound will heal off.
For excess thirst if you drink the juice or decoction of the fruit, you will be relieved of the thirst. To enhance the taste misri (sugar candy) can be added to the juice.
For mouth ulcers, take the bark of the tree, grind it and filter the juice and rinse the mouth with the juice to get rid of mouth ulcers.
This fruit helps in anti-aging. Grind the seeds of the fruit smoothly and preserve in the glass bottle. About 3g of this powder, added to little butter should be consumed before each meal. You can find much difference in yourself.
- You can detoxify your body by taking a solution of 20g of raw figs and 10g of black pepper crushed and added to a glass of water and boiled till half and consume it by adding sugar. This will remove the impurities from the body, keep the liver and spleen clean and improve the blood circulation.
- The decoction of bark is used to treat diarrhea in rural areas. As the leaves also pocess anti- bacterial property, the decoction serves as the best home remedy to treat diarrhea.
- The anti-analgic and pyretic properties of the tree helps in reducing the fever and relieves from pain. The decoction of the bark of the tree relieves from inflammation and burning sensation too.
- During pregnancy if 50g of crushed bark of the tree decoction and one tea spoon full of barley powder added together and taken regularly, one can be free of the risk of abortion.
- Dry fruits of Gular, Azwain (carom seeds) and sendha namak (rock salt), make powder of all the three store in a bottle and consume one spoon to get relief from the stomach ache.
- This tree contains strong anti-diabetic compounds. It lowers blood sugar and increases insulin production even when the pancreas beta cells have been damaged.
- This is such a great tree that it has been externally used to treat skin diseases like leprosy too for thousands of years.
- The bark extract of this fig tree contains largest amount of anti-bacterial properties. Several studies found that the bark extract fight gram negative and gram positive bacteria.
- The high concentration of antioxidants in Gular tree function as a protection from infections.
- So keeping the above facts in view it is always good to have a Gular tree in our compound or in the vicinity.
By Nibhanapudi Suguna