Dragon fruit is one of the most nutritious fruits that can be quite beneficial for your well being. Though this fruit is not indigenously grown in our country, I am writing its health benefits as I have seen this fruit in Super markets in India. It is known as Pitaya in Hindi.
This super fruit contains a number of anti-oxidants that prevents memory loss and a number of ailments and specially good for your heart.
- Dragon fruit contains vitamins B1, B 2 and B 3 and vitamin C, Minerals such as Calcium, phosphorus, Iron, niacin, fibre and protein the combination of which will keep you fit and energetic through the day.
- This fruit keeps your stomach full for a longer time and keeps you away from craving for food at short intervals. This fruit is very low in calories and rich in fibre. This can really help you lose those extra pounds and maintain healthy weight.
- Dragon fruit has the power to cleanse the interior parts of your body and by doing this it will help maintain healthy tissue around and inside the heart. It helps reduce the cardio-vascular diseases.
- The anti-oxidants in dragon fruit combat the free radicals and help the body carry on with its vital function It helps you build a stronger immune system and maintain a healthier lifestyle.
- The anti-oxidants in this fruit not only help you fight with free radicals but also work for aging of the skin. As you eat this fruit, more and more anti-oxidants you consume that help keep your skin tight and younger.
- This fruit gives you strength to deal with respiratory disorders caused by common cold
or flu. It is rich in vitamin C that can make your immune system stronger to fight against these infections.
- It is believed that those suffering from diabetes have also been benefited by eating this fruit as it kept the blood sugar levels under control. But it is important to consult your doctor before eating this fruit.
- Dragon fruit has anti-inflammatory properties which suppress arthritis. Arthritis affects joints with inflammation and difficult in mobility. Eating this fruit regularly reduces irritation and pain in the joints.
- Dragon fruit is beneficial in removing acne. Apply the paste of this fruit on acne and wash off after it is dried. Vitamin C in the fruit treats acne and you will find surprising results on regular application. It also makes your skin glow. It can protect you from sunburn and harmful UV rays.
- The fibre content in the fruit improves the body’s bowel movement. By adding this fruit to your diet you can reduce the chances of constipation and irritable bowel syndrome.
- Dragon fruit contains anti-carcinogenic properties which are capable of reducing number tumours. Lycopene in this fruit is shown to have lowered the risk of prostate cancer. The peel of the fruit contains polyphenols-that protect against certain forms of cancers.
On your next visit to the market if you come across dragon fruit, grab one and avail all the health benefits of this super fruit.
By Nibhanapudi Suguna
Comments are closed here.