Bryophylum pinnatum is a wonderful herb known for its amazing medicinal properties. This herb is known as Life plant, Miracle plant and Air plant in different parts of the globe along with vernacular names. It is known as Asthibhaksha in Sanskrit. The amazing part of this plant is, it does not have seeds. This plant grows out of the edge of the leaf. This herb is popularly known to treat kidney and urinary disorders but it has other health benefits too. The decoction of this plant is known to melt the hardest of kidney stones. The juice of the leaves are very effective to the patient suffering from thirst or any kind of urinary disorder. Owing to its astringent properties people use it on their skin. It tones the skin, cures wounds and causes contractions so that the texture improves. It also gives relief from pain and decreases the rate of formation of thrombus. The leaves are a good remedy for the skin related painful, itchy boils and inflammation. Just slightly warm and crush the leaves and tie as poultice on the affected area. I helps the wound heal fast and prevent scar formation.
- Or you can take four leaves add little salt and grind and apply the paste as poultice on boils. This is also a very effective home remedy to treat boils sand gives relief from pain.
- Placing the back of the leaves on open sores, cuts and wounds will promote healing, stops bleeding as well as prevents infection.
- This herb contain anti-pyretic properties that can treat the fevers. Taking the leaf juice helps the body gain enough strength to fight quickly against viruses and bacteria.
- The decoction of the leaves along with Bilva leaves (Beal) is given to treat fever in dosage of 30ml in divided dose.
- In case of bleeding diarrhea half spoon of juice of the leaves two times controls the bleeding.
- Half spoon of juice of the leaves mixed with cumin seeds powder and double the ghee added can be given to control the bleeding in diarrhea. Either of the two methods can be followed.
- A herbal tea made from this herb is useful to treat conditions such as shortness of breath, kidney failure, asthma, cough, bronchitis as well as common cold. Or the juice of the leaves mixed with sugar candy can be given to get relief from cough and cold.
- The dried powder of the Bryophyllum pinnatum is used to prepare herbal tea for its anti-oxidant property. This helps fight free radicals better.
- The decoction mixed with shilajit and 2gm of honey, given twice clears the bile stone.
- This herb is good for improving heart health, tooth ache, ear ache and liver related ailments. These are a few of health benefits of wonderful herb Bryophyllum pinnatum or Zkhme Hayat as it is called in Hindi
By Nibhanapudi Suguna