Almond and its oil are the most popular and among the primitive brain tonics known to mankind. Soaked and pealed almonds are given to children on a regular basis have been proven to enhance brain functions, memory power and cognitive performance.
Almond nuts and Almond oil assist in enhancing the functions of the almond shaped amygdala of the brain, supporting in overcoming depression, phobias, anxiety and in strengthening the emotional psychosomatic functions.
One can add two drops of Almond oil with one drop of Rosemary oil in your daily shampoo for boosting memory and instil positive feelings.
This oil is known as a tonic for the brain, blood, skin, bone, muscle and the body. Almonds have been used in Naturopathy for augmenting virility, building muscle power, increasing immunity and enhancing cognitive functions.
Almond oil has been extracted since ancient times. A number of nutrients and beneficial properties make it a powerful cosmetic ingredient. There are two kinds of almond oil sweet and bitter. The oil used for therapeutic purpose is sweet almond oil also known as pure almond oil which is highly refined.
This oil is light and easily absorbed by the skin that penetrates deeply in to the skin and reaches the blood stream. It passes on its therapeutic properties to the entire system and works on the corresponding parts of the body requiring the essential nutrients to function effectively.
- It works well on face and on sensitive skin as it is non greasy, medium light with quick absorption rate. It is good for dry flaky skin and for preventing skin spots. Whereas bitter almond oil is meant for use as scent and flavour. It is not to be used for treatment purpose.
- Almond oil is rich in folic acid, anti- oxidants, vitamin, E, A, D and B The natural folic acid in almonds is good for pregnant women to prevent the occurrence of birth deficiencies in new born babies,enhance brain development of the growing foetus, and support healthy cellular structure and tissue development to thwart neural tube conditions.
- Almond oil is one of the best oils for hair and skin care. It has got lots of nutrients and beneficial properties which make it such a powerful cosmetic ingredient.
- The major chemical component of sweet almond oil are mono unsaturated oleic acid. It is omega-9 fatty acid. Linoleic acid which is poly-unsaturated omega-6 essential fatty acid and saturated fatty acid.
- Almond oil is rich in zinc, calcium, magnesium and these are important minerals for healthy hair. The deficiency of which leads to hair loss. Warm one table spoon of Almond oiland apply to the scalp until most of the oil is absorbed to the scalp. Leave it overnight and wash the hair next morning.
- Almond is known as the ‘miracle nut’ or the’ King of Nuts’ in Ayurveda. So keep eating almonds for its extensive health benefits and beauty care. You can also massage Almond oil to get relief from muscle pain. Vitamin E in Almond oil can help repair damage done to the collagen layer.
By Suguna Nibhanapudi