Saffron is the world’s most expensive spice. In Indian cultureit has been a prestigious herb used in various delicacies to make the food look attractive and delicious since ancient times. Even the Mughals in India used it extensively to show off their grand and majestic life styles. In India this herb is grown in Kashmir valley. The purple colour flower of this plant bears three stigmas. These stigmas are plucked and dried and are used for colouring and enhancing the taste of the dish. It is an attractive flower with amazing medicinal properties. It has a number of chemical components such as vitamin A, folic acid, potassium, copper, calcium, manganese, iron, zinc and selenium to name a few. Saffron is one of the ingredients used in the medicine prepared to cure the diseases pertaining to central nervous system. The anti-depressant properties of saffron can boost memory, stimulate nervous system and can even help treat insomnia.
- To strengthen the eyesight, blend saffron and rose water and apply this paste to your eyes. You can see the change for yourself.
- To relieve oedema in kidney and uterus related diseases, put little saf fron in a glass of water and leave it overnight. Drink this early morning to get best results.
- It has been found that saffron and its active components contain properties that inhibit human malignant cells. Not only does the spice inhibit that have become cancerous but also has no such effect on normal cells and actually stimulates their formation and of lym phocytes (immunecells that help destroy cancer cells).
- Saffron extract is useful in the treatment of age related mental ailment. Improves memory power.
- Saffron mixed in liquorice and milk makes an effective topical application to induce hair growth in alopecia.
- It is beneficial for heart patients to drink two pinches of saffron added to little milk at night regularly.
- Saffron has the ability to stimulate and release the toxins from the body. It purifiesthe blood of impurities and facilitates toxins from the body through a liquid and gaseous state.
- Saffron has Anti-oxidant and anti- inflammatory properties that help to boost the process of excretory system.
- Saffron proves to be the best natural remedy for skin as it contains many vitamins with anti-oxidant properties. It also had the anti-inflammatory properties that soothes the skin. Its anti-fungal properties helps to treat acne, helps in blood circulation and hydrate the skin making it soften and give a fresh glow. Mix a few strands of saffron and rose water, applying this over the skin reduces oiliness and improves skin condition.
- Saffron is effective for relieving gas and acidity related problems as it helps in digestion. Moreover it has carminative roperties which help reduce flatulence and help suppress stomach cramps.
- To improve digestion and reduce gas have a cup of saffron tea daily. To make saffron tea, boil a cup of water with a pinch of saffron add a little honey and drink it.
- Saffron paste when applied on injury speeds up healing.
By Niibhanapudi Suguna