Sandalwood for Skin
Sandalwood with its soothing aroma is known to have cooling effect on our body. We have been using Sandalwood (Chandan) since times immemorial. It has been described in one of the slokas depicting the alankaram (decoration) of Lord Krishna, “sarvangeHarichandanam cha kalalaye”. Lord Krishna is seen with chandan being applied all over his body.
There is a Varaha Narasimha Swami temple in Simhachalam, in Andhra Pradesh. Here the deity is applied sandalwood daily. It is removed once a year on Akshaya Thriteeya day. On that day the temperature of the city touches it height and the Archakas in the temple feel the heat unbearable. So it is the Chandan that keeps him and the people around him cool.
Nature has given us such a beautiful gift not only to bear the heat but to avail many health benefits. As the trees are not accessible to us, we can buy the chandan powder in Ayurveda or some authorised stores.
- Sandalwood or as we call it Chandan is actually helpful in relieving lots of disorders such as acne, itching, insect bite, burning sensation, and to remove tan etc. It can give relief from headache, stress and calms our nerves.
- The natural oils present in sandalwood help us save ourselves from the harmful rays of the Sun and get rid of the suntan. It helps us sooth a Sun-burn and with its cooling effect reduces the redness caused due to the sunburn.
- Sandalwood has the properties that prevent pimples, acne and from developing sores. Exposure to dust and dirt can cause bacterial growth on your skin which can further lead to skin problems. Applying sandalwood powder mixed with milk on the affected area can really help.
- Itchy skin layers are very frustrating and unpleasant. Sandalwood powder will help heal all these skin irritations making your skin layer gentle and smooth.
- The herbal oils within sandalwood might help cure these medical issues and even instil the natural skin oils into the skin layers. Apply Sandalwood cream twice weekly for half an hour and cleanse with chilled water. Carefully pat dry the skin making sure not to ever wash away the valuable skin oils.
- To calm a headache crush some Basil (Tulsi) leaves, add two teaspoons of sandalwood powder and then rub it on the forehead. This mixture is an excellent method to ease headache.
- For your face to be smooth and shiny apply Sandalwood essential oil on your face and massage gently. Leave it on overnight and wash with lukewarm water the next morning. You will see the change yourself.
- Essential oil acquired from Sandalwood can be applied in aromatherapy to manage depression as well as to reduce stress. Elements of the natural oil will help the human brain build serotonin that boosts positivity in the man or women and even activates the sensation of happiness and joy.
- Sandalwood powder can even eliminate the body odour. So go for the age-old Sandalwood products instead of deos and scents that are harmful for the environment.
By Nibhanapudi Suguna