Vitamin and Air Pollution
We all know that particulate matter is a type of air pollutant consisting of small dust particles in the air that cause major health problems. Increasing number of vehicles and factories are the main cause of this dust pollution.These particles are so micro that they are some 30 times smaller than human hair.
Over 90% of the people in the world are living above the dangerous mark of PM2.5. These dust particles directly reach deep into our lungs and make us difficult to breathe. They are proving fatal to children. They reach our brain and are proving to make unbelievable changes on our thinking ability and memory power.
When these attack the body they may cause cellular damage–we lose the immunity and the power to protect ourselves and may be prone to dangerous diseases like cancer, aging etc. Experts say continuous exposure to PM2.5 can cause major changes in our health.
It is impossible to avoid air pollution where ever you are. Air pollution is said to be crossing continents across oceans. But it can be controlled only by stringent measures on emission control and regulation by the government. Meanwhile we should do whatever we can to protect ourselves.
Recently, it has come to light that Vitamin B supplements reduce the damage of PM 2.5 exposure significantly. B group of vitamins are one of the essential vitamins that our body needs for our well-being. We need these vitamins for the body to process the food we eat to get energy and help form red blood cells.
Types of Vitamin B
There are different types of vitamins in this group that come from different types of foods. Let us know the B group of vitamins:
- Vitamin B1: this vitamin helps in producing cellular energy and proper functioning of nervous system. This vitamin is found in vegetables like cauliflower, spinach, lentils, whole grains, nuts etc.
- Vitamin B2: It is needed for cellular energy and is found in milk, eggs, salmon, beef, broccoli etc.
- Vitamin B3: It is helpful in cellular energy and cardiovascular health. It is found in wheat bread, peanut, lentils, fish etc.
- Vitamin B5: It is widely available in plant and animal food sources. It is found in whole grains, lentils, avocado, brown rice, broccoli and milk.
- Vitamin B6: It keeps various body functions operate at their best. It is needed for red blood cell formation and normal nervous system function. It is found in bananas, fish, poultry, cooked spinach etc.
- Vitamin B7: It supports healthy hair, skin and nails. It is found in strawberries, cheese, soybean etc.
- Vitamin B9 folic acid: It is very necessary for pregnant women for foetal health and development of baby’s nervous system. It is found in foods like beets, dates, avocados, breads, asparagus, spinach etc.
- Vitamin B12: It is helpful in DNA synthesis, proper red blood cell formation, and proper nervous system function. Predominantly it is found in chicken, beef, eggs and milk.
So, first time, it has been proved that Vitamin B helps fight against pollution. It is thereby advised to take foods like brown rice, eggs, vegetables which have Vitamin B in abundance and protect yourself from pollution.
By Nibhanapudi Suguna