Moringa plant is popularly known as drumstick tree or sehjan ki phalli in India. The leaves of this tree have a lemony taste and are touted as the world’s most nutritious green leaves. In India one can easily access the leaves and use them for culinary or medicinal purpose.
Fresh Moringa leaves contain vitamin C, calcium, potassium, protein, 4 times more vitamin A than carrots; 75 per cent of the Iron of spinach. Apart from these Moringa contains phosphorus, magnesium and zinc. Other than minerals it contains essential amino acids and vitamins such as vitamin A, vitamin B and vitamin C.
Moringa has long been used in traditional medicine. But only after several studies showing the medicinal benefits of the plant, it began to gain popularity as a new super food for its highly nutritious properties. Moringa contains powerful anti-inflammatory, anti-oxidant, and tissue protective properties.
Inflammation is the natural response of our body to injury or infection. It is a protective response of body tissues to damaged cells or irritants. But it may become a major health issue if neglected and goes on for long time. Sustained inflammation leads to heart disease and cancer. One of the most promising uses of the Moringa extract is the treatment of various types of acute and chronic inflammation.
- Take one cup leaves and 6 cups of water and boil until it is reduced to one cup. This solution can be taken to control diabetes. One can even use dry leaves or powder and take it as tea. There are certain compounds called isothiocynates in Moringa leaves that help lower blood sugar levels.
- Moringa is known to treat and prevent several diseases such as heart disease, anaemia, arthritis etc. It can effectively reduce cholesterol levels thereby preventing heart disease.
- Owing to its anti-inflammatory qualities it can effectively inhibit the development of oedema.
- Moringa is used to treat kidney failure because of serious diet limitations patients may not be able to receive vitamin A and C. Moringa contains high levels of calcium which allows the kidney to function and keep balance of electrolytes.
- Studies show the effectiveness of Moringa leaves against the liver damage caused by anti-tubercular drugs and its stimulating effect in speeding up the recovery process. This protective credit is attributed to the presence of phyto-chemicals and vitamin C in Moringa.
- For treating Neuro- degenerative diseases too Moringa has been proved to be valuable. It can even extend its protection against the deficiencies related to Alzheimer’s disease.
- Moringa, the richest source of Iron helps to elevate the haemoglobin level in the blood. Haemoglobin content of the blood is an important issue for the health status of the individual. Low haemoglobin not only leads to anaemia it may also decrease the mental alertness of the person.
by Nibhanapudi Suguna