Raw turmeric is abundantly available in the market these days. Bring home a few roots and store in refrigerator. Crush a small piece, add to a glass of milk and bring it to boil. Drink it warm before going to bed. This will give you good sleep, relax your muscles and keep you away from many viral and bacterial infections. I personally prefer to drink turmeric milk when I am down with cold and cough instead of allopathic medicines.
Today we will know the health benefits of turmeric milk. Milk as we know gives strength to our bones. Combined with turmeric it provides additional strength to the bones. There is a compound called curcumin in turmeric which is responsible for all the medicinal benefits of turmeric. This curcumin serves as anti-bacterial and anti-viral properties. They help in the treatment of viral infections like cough and cold.
- Both milk and turmeric are anti-oxidants. Turmeric milk helps fight free radicals that damage skin and make it lose its glow and elasticity. (Organism age because cells accumulate free radical damage overtime). We all know turmeric face masks and how they help skin but internal usage of turmeric milk can really
protect your skin from any damage. One spoonful of organic turmeric powder, one spoonful of organic honey and one spoonful of milk added together and applied to face can do wonders to your skin.
- Sinus congestion can be relieved by drinking turmeric milk. Add a pinch of turmeric to hot milk and sip at regular intervals to get immediate relief
- Turmeric’s anti-inflammatory properties help soothe the pain, swelling and inflammation associated with arthritis. Turmeric milk strengthens bones, joints and improves flexibility as well.
- Turmeric milk gives relief to swelling and pain due to the headache and wounds. It is known as natural aspirin in Ayurveda.
- A warm glass of this drink before bed gives much better sleep as milk contains some important chemicals beneficial to brain. These
chemical compounds serotonin and melatonin help in your sleep cycle. Turmeric reduces stress to the body.
- Certain chemicals in turmeric help break down the fat in the body thereby helping you reduce the weight.
- Turmeric milk added with besan (chickpea flour) and rose water will help lighten the stretch marks and even out the skin tone. The pack should be applied daily and kept till it is dried.
- A ½ to 1 inch piece of turmeric is heated for up to 15 minutes along with 8 ounces of milk until the milk is almost boiling.
Strain out the turmeric and drink this milk after allowing it to cool for a few minutes. This recipe can soothe inflammation, diarrhea (use non-fat milk), strengthen bones and fight free radicals. Today, alternative treatments of cancer are been explored in great detail and a very promising one is curcumin – active ingredient of spice turmeric.
Always use organic turmeric. Dry turmeric roots are available in the market. You can use them instead of raw roots. Make fine powder and store for ready use.
By Nibhanapudi Suguna