Cranberries being a source of various vitamins, minerals, nutrients and anti-oxidants, are packed with innumerable health benefits. Apart from these, cranberries contain unique anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory properties of anthosyanins. These greater concentration of anthocyanins in cranberries provide us with stronger health benefits. Today our breakfast comprises many of the fruits and fruit juices that were unknown to us till a few years ago. Even packed foods like muesli comprises dried fruits like kiwis, prunes, cranberries etc.
- Raw cranberries have vitamin C at moderate levels, dietary fiber, and the essential dietary mineral such as manganese as well as other micro nutrients in small amounts.
- Their anti-oxidants and anti-inflammatory compounds protect your brain from age- related memory and co-ordination loss, according to a research.
- Craneberry provides important anti-inflammatory benefits for your cardio-vascular system, arteries, kidneys, digestive tract and many other organs. The phyto-nutrients in cranberry are especially effective in lowering our risk of unwanted inflammation.
- Cranberries are the best to prevent the urinary tract infections. Presence of micro-organisms in the urine beyond the permissible limit leads to urinary tract infections. The compounds found in the cranberry juice prevent the bacteria from binding to the cells of the bladder walls. These compounds prevent the bacteria from multiplying further and flush them out of the body through urine.
- Cranberries provide a rich source of protective compounds called polyphenols that help in preventing the harmful acids to form in your mouth, prevent the cavity and boost up your oral health. They protect the cells and body chemicals against damage caused by free radicals. Cranberry compounds inhibit cancer cell growth by causing the harmful cells to die off and by reducing their ability to invade surrounding tissues.
- A study on cranberries suggests that polyphenols support our body’s natural defences and help us achieve a balanced lifestyle, which improves health. It is said that among the most commonly consumed fruits in our diets cranberries boast some of the highest levels of polyphenols, more than apples, cherries, blue berries or grapes.
- The polyphenol compound present in cranberry has anti-tumor The presence of salicylic acid reduces swelling and prevents the formation of blood clots which can lead to tumor.
- People drinking cranberry juice daily have lower risk of heart disease and stroke. But it is essential for you to be aware of certain foods and drinks that can be best for your overall wellness.
- You can feast on dried sweetened cranberries or cranberry juice and gain ability to improve multiple aspects of immune function and lower the frequency of cold and flu symptoms.
Now this new super fruit has made its way into ice creams, granola bars, dark chocolates and more recently as the core flavouring in sauces and chutneys. Cranberry juice is very tart and strong and generally consumed after diluting water. To get the best benefits doctors advise to go for the unsweetened one rather than the sweetened packaged juice that is found in the market. You can make the juice at home too. Unsweetened cranberry juice decreases the incidence of bacteria that are found in the mouth and combat bad breath too. A healthy dose of this juice ensures clean teeth at all times. ■
By Nibhanapudi Suguna