Sage is a wonderful herb and in certain countries it is associated with immortality. It is believed to the extent that if sage is in the garden a man should not die. It is simply believed to be the key to the long life. This itself tells us that how beneficial the herb is to the mankind. Most of the European countries including Greece and France and the Arab countries consider this plant very sacred. It is similar to how we treat tulsi, ‘the holy basil’ in India.
The scientific name of this plant is Salvia Officinalis. It is an excellent natural disinfectant and deodoriser. It is believed to flush out diseases from the body, easing any undue strain on the heart. Let us see the other benefits of this herb.
The herb sage has a long list of medicinal properties for ailments ranging from mental disorders to gastrointestinal discomforts.
- Sage is a powerful anti-oxidant that helps clear free radicals and other environmental toxins from the body and prevent them from attacking healthy cell tissue.
- It is anti-bacterial, anti-microbial, anti-fungal, anti- inflammatory and anti-septic.
- Sage contains vitamins like Vitamin A and Vitamin C and minerals like zinc, potassium, magnesium and others.
- Sage is often used to treat sore throat. Throat sprays made from at least 15 per cent sage are proven in studies to be more effective than placebos in easing pain. One should get relief from pain within two hours of spraying.
- Conditions of the digestive system such as spasm caused by indigestion are treated by sage.
- It can even promote appetite and help in bile flow.
- Owing to its anti-bacterial and astringent properties sage can be used to clean ulcers and sores and can stop wounds from bleeding.
- Sage can effectively lower the blood sugar and cholesterol levels.
- Sage extract is given to treat the Alzheimer’s patients and to improve the memory power in young.
- Sage is used in cooking to enhance the flavour of the dish. It gives a wonderful aroma and an appetizing taste to the dish.
- In traditional medicine sage was used to treat fevers, common cold with the help of sage tea.
- Sage is used as natural hair dye for grey hair. It is also applied to the scalp to darken the hair.
- Sage herb oil is externally used as rubefacient to soothe painful ailments like muscle stiffness and rheumatism.
- Sage oil is used in perfumes, soaps and other beauty products other than medicinal use.
It is better to eat your diet with a variety of foods that can prove to be good for your health then concentrate on particular food. Sage leaves can be used like mint leaves or coriander leaves. Since these leaves are consumed in small amounts they may not provide significant amount of calories, carbohydrates, fibre or protein. But they do contain numerous anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory compounds beneficial to your health. Grab some fresh leaves today and add them to your salad or vegetable dish.
By Nibhanapudi Suguna