Apricot oil is one of the natural oils derived from apricot seeds. It is actually apricot kernel oil which is known as khubani ka tel in Hindi. As we all know there are myriad oils that have many wonderful effects on health and it can be difficult to choose one that is ideal for our requirement. Apricot oil has been widely used for its sedative, anti-spasmodic that gives relief to strained muscles and soothing properties. It is useful in healing of wounds, in expelling worms and as general tonic.
Apricot kernel oil is similar to almond oil. The main components of this beneficial oil are linoleic and oleic acids that are healthy unsaturated fats. Apricot oil comes with a wide range of skin, hair and health benefits.
- This oil contains B-17 that is present in the seeds of the fruit. This nutrient helps in the prevention of cervical, bone and skin cancers. Vitamin B-17 also helps to lower and maintain blood pressure.
- Apricot oil is anti-septic and has anti- inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties. These make it very effective as a natural remedy for skin conditions.
- Due its anti-inflammatory properties, apricot oil reduces inflammation
when applied topically. It is highly effective in reducing arthritis symptoms. It also helps in relieving pain and sooths effected areas.
- The risk of infection is reduced when applied on wounds and cuts due its anti-septic properties.
- The anti-oxidant properties help fight damage caused by free radicals.
- This oil is a great moisturiser and is good for any type of skin. It can be made an excellent scrub along with sugar. It removes the dead skin, helps in removing the black heads and unclogging pores, helps in repairing the damaged skin and stimulate the growth of new cells. It effectively treats skin conditions like eczema. This oil is absorbed easily by the skin and keeps it lubricated from inside.
- Its moisturising and nourishing properties make it excellent for lip balm as they prevent chapping and flaking.
- Vitamins A, C and E in the oil helps delay the signs of aging as they help keeping the skin well nourished.
- Since organic apricot oil is light, non-irritating and gentle it can be used for small children too.
- Apricot oil can help promote healthy growth of hair, improve its texture make it strong, shiny and smooth. It nourishes the roots and strands of your hair and keeps them moisturised as well. When used as hair oil it can give soft, shiny and dandruff free hair.
- When used in aroma therapy massage, this oil helps in balancing the nervous system and keeps the skin healthy.
You can use it as an ingredient in your salad dressing and enjoy the nutty flavour. This oil is used in many soaps, lotions, creams and beauty products.
Using natural remedies for the treatment of skin disorders and other health issues cause no harm, make sure to consult your if you are under treatment for any ailment before using this oil.
By Nibhanapudi Suguna