This herb is known as Mokoi, Kamanchi, Kachi, Kasa, Kasara, Kamakshi and by various other names. If you look carefully in your garden you will find this herb with small pea sized red or black berries. These small fruits are found in bunches. This plant that grows on its own in our pathways has exceptional medicinal value.
Kamakshi plant contains fibre, protein, fat, carbohydrate, calcium, phosphorus, iron, sodium, potassium, zinc etc.
This herb is very effective in the treatment of cirrhosis of the liver, spleen and is also credited with emollient, anti-septic, laxative properties. It is very useful in chronic enlargement of liver, heart diseases, skin, prostrate swelling, and other inflammatory conditions.
BENEFITS OF THE PLANT
- Joint pains: Make Paste of the leaves, heat a little and apply warm around the affected area to reduce swelling and pain.
- Cough and cold: Crush the leaves and take fomentation to get relief from cough and cold.
- Headache: Apply paste of the leaves on forehead to get relief from headache.
- For eyes: Boil the leaves to get concentrated solution and close your eyes wash them over the eyes to improve your eye sight.
- For ears: Sometimes we get earache due to heat in the body. Put two drops of the leaves solution in the ears to effectively reduce the pain.
- Liver: These leaves are a boon to the liver. If you happen to get these leaves use them in your diet cooked along with lentils or vegetables. They give protection from all your liver related ailments.
In many parts of India the boiled extracts of its leaves and fruit are used to alleviate the discomfort caused by liver related ailments such as jaundice. If you consume the leaves regularly in your diet you will never get any liver problems lifelong says ayurveda.
- For stomach disorders: Get hold of a tree with flowers and cut off its roots. Make small parts of the rest of the tree crush and extract the juice in a bowl and bring it to boil on a low flame till all the juice gets evaporated. After some time decant water in a bowl. Add sugar two times to it and boil till it comes to thick consistency store it in a bottle and take one spoon with warm water both times to get rid of stomach disorders and to keep constipation at bay.
- For kidneys: Two grams of flowers if you consume one hour before meal you will be relieved of inflammation and ulcers in kidney and will have free flow of urine.
- For burns: Take the leaves extract mixed with rose water and apply on the burns to decrease the inflammation as well as the pain.
- Freshly prepared extract of the plant works as an antidote to poisoning by opium.
- Night shade plant is useful in chronic skin diseases such as eczema, acne and psoriasis.
Caution: (1) pregnant women should not use this Night shade plant in any manner as it will lead to miss- carriage. (2) Boil the juice before consuming; please do not take the raw juice which sometimes results in vomiting and nausea.