Spirulina is a highly nutritious water plant. It is a rich food source. It has been widely used as a dietary supplement in many countries from time immemorial. It has constituted a significant part of the diet of many communities. It is believed that even NASA has chosen to use it as food for astronauts in space. It is basically an algae that grows naturally in oceans and other water bodies such as ponds and lakes. Algae need tropical weather, pure water resource and strong sunshine to grow. Spirulina absorbs sunshine and helps create a reaction in its cell and when the reaction starts spirulina will produce nutrients in the cell and will convert carbon dioxide into oxygen. Strong sunshine produces more nutrients. It cannot grow in cold weather conditions.
It can easily absorb the nutrients from the water. If the water is polluted or contain heavy metals, these will be absorbed and highly concentrated in the spirulina cell. It thus becomes unfit for human consumption. Spirulina may interfere with drugs that slow blood clotting including blood thinners such as warfarin. Always consult your doctor before using spirulina if you are under medication. Spirulina is available in the form of tablets as well as powder in the market. One should understand that it is not a medicine but only a powerful food supplement with amazing medicinal benefits.
HEALTH BENEFITS OF SPIRULINA
- This blue green algae is considered as one of the super foods with amazing nutritional value.
- It has the ability to relieve your mental and emotional disorders, anxiety, stress and depression.
- Number of ailments are treated by using spirulina. It contains strong anti-oxidants like Vitamin E, carotenoids, selenium and phenolic acid. It is the richest source of beta carotene which is more concentrated in Spirulina as compared to carrots. This nutrient helps to cut down on cataracts and age related macular degeneration.
- It contains the most number of anti oxidants and hence posses anti- cancer power that help fight free radicals. These Anti-oxidants help relieve athletes from exercise induced oxidative stress that contribute to muscle fatigue.
- Our body often absorbs cell damaging molecules through pollution, poor diet or stress. As we all know some of our illnesses are caused by insufficient nutrients in our body. If we replenish these nutrients on time the symptoms usually disappear. By removing free radicals the nutrients in spirulina help improve the immune system so that you are able to heal faster from your wounds, less likely to get sick.
- Sprirulina supplement decre-ases the chance of cancer and cellular degeneration.
- Spirulina contains vitamin B1, B2, B3, B6, B9, Vitamin C, vitamin A and vitamin E. It contains minerals like calcium, potassium, chromium, copper, iron, magnesium, manganese, phosphorus, selenium, sodium and zinc. One can easily overcome iron deficiency by taking spirulina as it easily absorbs iron than other iron supplements. It is beneficial for those who are suffering from anaemia.
- Spirulina helps improve the digestive system, promotes healthy bacteria and help improve the absorption of dietary nutrients.
- It helps reduce bad cholesterol and help raise good cholesterol in the body and prevents the risk of cardiovascular diseases, hardening of the arteries and strokes.
- Spirulina naturally cleanse by eliminating mercury and other deadly toxins that are ingested by the body.
The anti inflammatory property in Spirulina helps to reduce the inflammation in Arthritis
By Nibhanapudi Suguna