Armenian cucumbers belong to the cucurbita (cucumber) family. They are tasty, crunchy and unique flavoured. They are known as kakari in India. They are a summer vegetable and just need to be washed to eat them raw. They can even be cooked. Most of their nutrients lie in the outer skin of their guard hence do not require any peeling. They are mostly made up of water and very refreshing and cool to have in summer.
- These Armenian cucumbers contain unique anti-oxidants such as B-carotene and A-carotene, Vitamin-C, Vitamin-A, zea xanthis and lutein. These compounds help act as protective scavengers against oxygen derived free radicals and reactive oxygen species that play a role in aging and various disease processes.
- They have diuretic properties. This is perhaps attributed to their high water, potassium and low sodium content. This helps in checking weight gain and high blood pressure.
- It is one of the low calorie vegetable and does not contain saturated fats or cholesterol. A good source of dietary fiber, they help reduce constipation and give some protection against colon cancers by eliminating toxic compounds from the gut.
- These cucumbers contain high amounts of sterol that help lower the level of cholesterol specially LDL (bad) cholesterol.
- Blood pressure levels are kept under control with the help of fiber, potassium, magnesium content in this vegetable. Cucumber juice consists of minerals which boost alkalinity and even reduce acid levels in the blood and thereby in the body. Cucumber juice is an excellent blood balancer especially for people with acid-related problems.
- Armenian cucumber, being a good source of minerals, helps in prevention of breaking finger and toe nails.
- Surprisingly, these cucumbers have high amount of vitamin K that has been found to have a potential role in bone strength by promoting osteotrophic (bone mass building) activity.
- They are also found to be very effective in treating Alzheimer’s disease by limiting neuronal damage in the brain.
- Cucumbers consist of 95 per cent of water and this will assists to get rid of impurities from the body by way of urine. It additionally assists in treating jaundice.
- These cucumbers are long, crispy and thin ribbed with good amount of dietary fiber. Dietary fiber is important with regard to weight reduction because it helps in free bowel movement. Fiber can also help improve metabolism so that you can acquire more energy to participate in physical activity so that your body can lose fat cells.
- Consuming cucumber regularly helps remove the harmful toxins from the body. Water as well as potassium in cucumber may take away uric acid and metabolic waste from the kidneys. As it removes uric acid it is seen as an efficient treatment for arthritis. It is excellent for a healthy urinary bladder, kidney, liver and pancreas.
- Cucumber seeds are helpful in removing the tape worm within the digestive tract. The powder of the cucumber seeds too helps in eliminating the tape worm. Consumption of the seeds protects you from the worms troubles within your intestinal tract.
By Nibhanapudi Suguna