The green Coconut Water
Coconut water is the perfect drink one can have to keep oneself cool during the scorching heat of the summer. It is extracted from young green coconuts. Fresh coconut water is served directly from the fruit by cracking a small hole on top for the insertion of a straw. It is naturally sterile, isotonic and has the same level of electrolytes as found in human blood. You will be surprised to know that it has been injected as an intravenous rehydration fluid during the times of remote medical emergency to treat severe dehydration associated with diarrhea. Amazingly it is so close to natural blood plasma that during World War II it was used as plasma replacement for wounded soldiers. Green coconut contains 95 per cent water. It is fat free, cholesterol free and full of electrolytes such as sodium, magnesium, calcium, potassium and phosphorus and other vital minerals for proper body function. It naturally contains sugar up to 10 to 12gms. Nutritional experts say that coconut water can be a good drink for hydration after normal exercise. Most of the sports persons opt for coconut water instead of popular sports drinks.
- Coconut water contains potassium which helps in lowering the arterial blood pressure. High amount of potassium in coconut water also helps in significantly reducing hypertension by increasing water excretion from the body.
- Drinking coconut water helps reduce the rate of heart attacks.
- It also contains glucose which serves as an energy provider. It sure beats gatorade, as it has fewer ingredients, chemicals and sugar.
- Drinking coconut water can also aid in losing weight as it is low in fat, cholesterol and chloride. It reduces food cravings and keeps a person feeling full.
- It contains nutrients required by diabetics to keep their sugar levels under control.
- Applying fresh coconut water on skin prevents us from prickly heat and summer boils and also subsides the rashes caused by small pox, chicken pox and measles.
- It also acts as an anti-aging agent.
- Coconut water can be given to infants suffering from intestinal disturbances, as it kills intestinal worms.
- It cures malnutrition as it contains all the important nutrients.
- Presence of saline and albumen in coconut helps in cholera cases.
- The risk of kidney stones is greatly reduced because of the presence of minerals like potassium and magnesium in coconut water. Tender coconut fluids acts as diuretics because of its properties which tend to increase urine production and flow. Urologists around the world say that kidney stone sufferers should drink coconut water every alternate day to gradually reduce their size for easy elimination.
- Electrolytes are used by the body cells to carry electrical impulses across themselves and to other cells. When you exercise heavily you lose electrolytes—specifically sodium and potassium in your sweat and they need to be replenished. Coconut water can help with this as it contains both electrolytes and other minerals.
- One should be aware of tinned and flavoured coconut water as it adds calories to your weight because of added sugars and preservatives.
By Nibhanapudi Suguna