Nearly 200 people feared dead in North Korea after collapse of underground tunnel at nuclear test site

Nearly 200 people feared dead in North Korea after collapse of underground tunnel at nuclear test site

About 200 people have feared dead in North Korea after underground tunnels at the Punggye-Ri nuclear test site collapsed after the test of a hydrogen bomb last month. Some 100 people are said to have been trapped by the initial tunnel collapse, with a further 100 lost in a second collapse during a rescue operation, Japan’s Asahi TV reported, citing a source in North Korea.

It said the collapse on October 10 occurred while people were doing construction on the underground tunnel. The television station also said North Korea’s sixth nuclear test on Sept. 3 most likely caused the tunnel to crumble and created serious damage in the region.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.