Pumpkin seeds are not to be thrown out when you scoop them out of squashes or pumpkins. They are like a goldmine when it comes to nutritional value. They have been associated with several health benefits. These edible seeds are rich in magnesium, zinc, copper, phosphorus, manganese and even tryptophan which help you to sleep. They are rich in anti-oxidants and provide E and A, and contain essential vitamins including vitamin K and B complex group of vitamins. It is one of few seeds which has better amount of B complex vitamins such as niacin, riboflavin, thiamine, vitamin B6 and pantothenic acid are part of it.They also contain adequate quantities of sodium and potassium.
These seeds are known as Kaddu ka beej in Hindi.
- If you eat sprouted pumpkin seeds regularly, they being rich in zinc, Help boost immunity.
- Pumpkin seeds contain vitamin A which is helpful in improving the vision. Vitamin A enhances skin health as well.
- Aging makes people susceptible to declining bone health due to increased bone density. Apart from calcium there are lot of other vitamins and minerals that are necessary for enhancing bone mineral density. Pumpkin seeds are a great source of magnesium, zinc, vitamin K and numerous other bone boosting nutrients that help lower the risk of osteoporosis.
- Vitamin K helps stimulate blood clot formation after tissue damage and help blood cells to prevent bleeding. It also helps the skin to heal after the injury.
- Raw pumpkin seeds provide rich source of fibre that prevents constipation and benefits digestive health. Raw pumpkin seeds contain vitamin E, a fat soluble vitamin. It keeps the cardiovascular system healthy as it dilates blood vessels to keep lower blood pressure levels.
- Pumpkin seeds are full of fibre. These discourage more eating because they give the feeling of full stomach. Therefore regular use of these seeds gives the benefit of weight management.
- As pumpkin seeds are rich in proteins, essential amino acids, iron magnesium and copper all these important nutrients help hair health, hair growth, and hair shining. For hair problems like hair fall, hair loss etc. It is suggested to have pumpkin seeds on daily basis. Massage scalp with its oil which is easily absorbed and make hair fossils stronger.
- Pumpkin seeds are beneficial for the heart as magnesium in Pumpkin seeds prevent sudden heart attack, stroke and cardiac arrest and help lower the risk of coronary heart diseases. Magnesium maintains BP and regulates metabolic reactions in the body.
- Make pumpkin seeds tea, strain and sip twice or thrice a day. Being diuretic in nature it is helpful for kidney stone, infection in the urinary tract and overall health of kidney.
- Pumpkin seeds cure Marasmus and Kwashiorkor; Pumpkin seeds having some important amino acids that are essential to cure protein deficiency diseases like Marasmus and Kwashiorkor.
So to avail all the above benefits keep eating Pumpkin seeds by including them in your diet.
By Nibhanapudi Suguna