We all are aware of the health benefits of papaya. But not many of us know that the flowers and leaves of papaya are equally healthy and are known for their miraculous health benefits. Today I would like to share the benefits of the papaya flowers and leaves.
Papaya flower has very high nutritional value. These flowers have been used to control a number of ailments by our forefathers. After consumption of flowers a significant change has been seen in the levels of insulin in diabetic patients. These flowers can stabilise high blood pressure; prevent heart diseases and many other ailments. After consumption of the flowers, patients noticed a remarkable improvement in themselves. It is beneficial to include papaya flowers in diet occasionally to avail its benefits specially those who have health problems.
The male papaya flower is used for consumption as it is high in nutritional value. Though they have bitter taste still there are variety of recipes that are being cooked deliciously and eaten as vegetable and side dish. The bitterness is often reduced by soaking them in tamarind water, salt water or cooked along with cassava leaves.
PAPAYA FLOWER’S HEALTH BENEFITS
- The first and foremost, benefit of these flowers is to control blood sugar levels in diabetic patients.
- Papaya flowers help in proper digestion and metabolism in the body.
- These flowers contain Vitamin A, C, E and folate with anti-oxidant properties that prevent cholesterol and oxidation.
- Extracts from the flowers mixed with honey is used to treat respiratory problems such as cough and hoarseness of throat. A concoction is prepared by pouring a glass of hot water over a handful of flowers and then a spoon full of honey is added. After cooling one spoonful, it is administered three or four times a day. This gives instant relief from cough.
BENEFITS OF PAPAYA LEAVES
- These leaves have been a sought after commodity for dengue patients. In recent times during the outbreak of dengue the pulp of the leaves help regenerate white blood cells and platelets, normalise the clotting and repairs the liver.
- Papaya leaves are found to have the properties to cure malaria as well. The leaf extract is used to prevent malaria in some endemic parts of the world.
- The leaf is crushed and used as poultice to relieve pain and inflammation associated with arthritis and rheumatism.
- The dried leaves tea or decoction is used to treat digestive problems.
- The latex part of the leaf can be applied for ulcers, eczema, warts, corns and boils.
- Tea from boiled papaya leaf is used to treat heart problems and fevers.
- The leaf extract is one of the main ingredients in anti-dandruff shampoos that are meant to control flakes and dandruff.
- It is also used in the preparation of ointment popularly used for stings, cuts, burns and rashes.
- Papaya leaf contains Vitamin A & C that are beneficial for skin. The extract is used as the skin cleansing agent and promotes skin health.
- For an asthmatic person dried or cured leaves can be smoked for relief from wheezing.
So include papaya flowers and leaves in your diet and avail their innumerable health benefits. Doctors too are now vouching for the healing properties of the leaves and flowers as they are evident, based on the scientific studies conducted at various universities.
By Nibhanapudi Suguna