Gout is a form of extremely painful arthritic condition caused by swelling of the joints. Gout affects joints, big toe, heel, ankle, knee or even thumb.
It is caused by a chemical called uric acid in the blood. Uric acid is formed in our body and it is generally harmless. High amount of uric acid in the body causes gout. Most of it is passed out in urine and from the gut in the form of faeces. Some times the level may become too high and elevated, leading to formation of tiny grit like crystals which get lodged in the tissues. These crystals irritate the tissues in the joint causing inflammation, swelling and severe pain.
FOLLOWING ARE SOME OF THE REASONS FOR OCCURRENCE OF GOUT
- Stress, excessive consumption of alcohol, not having food for long time, lack of exercise, dehydration, certain foods like red meat, liver, sea food etc. lifestyle patterns and some medicines may trigger gout.
- It is primarily a condition inherited from patients having a decreased ability to eliminate excess uric acid, which is a break downproduct of purines. These are byproducts of certain proteins.
- Several studies have found that obese people may excrete uric acid more slowly. So if you are obese, try to lose weight, it can be achieved by reducing the consumption of high-purine foods such as red meat, liver, sausages, salami and certain fish like herring and sardines.
- Tea, coffee, soft drinks and diuretics may cause gout.
- If you are on some medication, check if the medicines are causing gout.
REMEDIES FOR GOUT
- Take lot of water as this is the best way to flush the kidneys and dilute metabolic waste.
- Take vegetable juice as it can help reduce the acidity and support liver detoxification. You can use various ingredients like beet root, carrot, celery, parcel, ginger, apple, pineapple, and mint. These juices help relieve the inflammation during an attack.
- You can safely cure gout without any side effects just by eating cherries, very tiny delicious fruits. These fruits have proved to be a very popular remedy to cure gout. A few cherries a day keeps uric acid levels in check and prevent reoccurrence. These fruits contain anthocyanins (anti-oxidant properties) that help lower the uric acid. Cherries are extremely safe and effective for eliminating swelling and pain. You can start with 20 cherries a day in the morning and can gradually reduce the amount. Other berries like strawberries, raspberries and black berries also give relief from gout pain owing to the purple anti-oxidant pigment.
- Healthy attitude to eating and regular exercise lessens the risk of contacting gout. So, one should cut down on alcohol consumption, drink plenty of water and avoid fructose found in many soft drinks.
- You should take lots of fresh fruits and vegetables. One radish a day corrects the levels of uric acid in the body. It can be consumed in the form of vegetable, juice or salad.
- Diet should contain unrefined
- carbohydrates instead of refined ones such as whole grains, nuts and
- olive oil.
- You should take at least two glasses of lemon juice in morning and evening daily, as the citric acid in lemons helps dissolve the uric acid.
- Malic acid in apples also helps neutralise the uric acid.
- Take ice cubes in a clean cloth and place it on the affected part to reduce the pain, as a temporary relief.
- Take ten grams of camphor to a cup of mustard oil and heat till the camphor melts. Now let it cool and store in a bottle. Apply the warm oil on the gout to get immediate relief from pain.
By Nibhanapudi Suguna