A clove of garlic a day keeps the cancer away. Garlic contains a chemical called Allicin, which is proved to have numerous health benefits. It is recently proved by some scientists that this chemical successfully killed cancer cells and malignant tumors in mice. Allicin is released only when the clove of garlic is crushed. So when garlic is used in food, it should be crushed. If the whole clove is added as it is unbroken, it will definitely give the flavour but its anti-carcinogenic properties are not provided. It is more effective when crushed than cut, If the crushed garlic is added to the food than any parasites, bacteria and other microbes gets killed even before the temperature kills them. Garlic is antiseptic and eating a clove a day would also help in keeping away many infections. As eating a clove is not very pleasant feeling due to its strong flavour, it can be crushed and added to food while cooking. Allicin gets distributed through out the food giving all its health benefits. Make sure you peel the garlic before cooking because cooking garlic in peel destroys its curative properties.
Garlic is the gift of nature with various health benefits. Some of them are given below.
- Garlic has long been considered to be a herbal wonder drug and is said to have properties to prevent from common cold, flu and plague. Garlic tends to reduce colds and flu without any side effect. Some people used the raw garlic to treat acne and it can even effectively be used as a mosquito repellent.
- Studies prove that garlic is found to have anti-bacterial, anti-fungal and anti-viral properties. It helps to prevent heart disease, high blood pressure and high cholesterol. Garlic prevents to help blood clot from forming, thus reducing the possibility of a stroke.
- It helps to regulate blood sugar levels. Garlic cloves are used as a remedy for digestive disorders and fungal infections.
- For a fat person, who wants to lose weight squeeze half lemon juice in one glass of luke warm water and drink it with two cloves of raw garlic regularly for three months. Avoid starchy and fat foods and exercise regularly. One can find great change in the body. Garlic boosts our metabolism and helps in reducing weight.
- Use of three cloves of garlic regularly can stop you from using anti-ageing cream because it can get rid of wrinkles, due to its powerful anti-oxidant effect which helps to protect the body against damaging ‘free radicals’.
- Earache can be cured by three or four drops of garlic oil.
- Garlic can be crushed and applied to reduce pain and inflammation caused by insect bite.
- It prevents certain tumors from growing larger and reduces the size of certain tumors.
- Garlic helps to remove certain metals from the body such as lead and mercury.
- Raw garlic is proven natural antibiotic and can kill some strains of bacteria that have become immune and resistant to modern antibiotics.
- Garlic reduces yeast infections in our bodies.
- Garlic stimulates the immune system of our body by making it strong and help fight against the diseases like cancer, ulcers, and hemorrhoids etc.
- Two cloves of garlic with warm water regularly reduce the acne, blackheads and blemishes by cleansing the blood internally.
- Garlic acts as natural decongestant and expectorant.
- It prevents and relieves chronic bronchitis and respiratory problems.
There are various facts, which prove that garlic has been used for food as well as for its medicinal uses since ancient times. So start using garlic in your diet and enjoy life without any disease. Garlic supplements are available from whole fresh garlic, freeze-dried garlic, garlic oil, aged-garlic extracts etc. Aged-garlic products are made by fermenting garlic and clinical studies prove that this is especially beneficial for heart and use of aged-garlic prevents cardiovascular diseases.
Garlic is used for seasoning the dish because of its pungent flavour. It is the fundamental component in many dishes and is often paired with onion, tomatoes and ginger. Garlic is applied to bread to prepare garlic bread, garlic toast etc. Oils are often flavoured with garlic and these infused oils are used to season a variety of vegetables etc. Garlic is also used in sauce, soup, pickles, chutney, garlic pearls etc.
By N Suguna